This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I make a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. I really appreciate your support. I do not post affiliates links to things I wouldn't recommend or use myself. Disclosure..
Here is my Easy and Best Shrimp Tostadas Recipe Out There. Okay, maybe I’m a little bias, but as someone who likes to quickly make meals, this is one of my personal favorites.
It’s made with shrimp, vegetables, with a touch a salsa. Only thing you really have to cook is the shrimp and let it cool, but you could also buy pre-cooked shrimp and just defrost it before starting so you can avoid any cooking. In addition, you will need a large bowl to toss everything in.
What ingredients are in this easy and best shrimp tostadas recipe?
You can use a variety of ingredients, but here are my basic go-to ingredients for this recipe:
- 2 lbs frozen shrimp – I cooked/peeled them the night before.
- 1 bag of tostadas
- sour cream
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- bunch of cilantro
- 1 avocado
- salsa – my favorite is this Valentina Mexican hot sauce
- 2 limes
- salt & pepper
Assuming you have cooked and peeled the shrimp. Go ahead and cut the shrimp up into small pieces and then toss them into a large mixing bowl. Or, on the other hand, simply cut up your defrosted pre-cooked shrimp as set aside.
Chop up the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, in addition to the avocado. Toss everything into the bowl as well.
Squeeze the lime(s) into your bowl – the lime adds an extra flavor and helps prevent the avocado from browning too quickly.
Season with pepper and mix all the ingredients! It will end up looking something like the picture below. Place the bowl in the fridge to chill. It tastes way better when chilled.
Please note that if you plan on eating this way later in the day, I’d wait till them before adding in the avocado and the salt. This way the avocado tastes fresh and the salt isn’t added too early where it can make the other veggies “sweat” and make them release too much liquid.
Later, grab your tostadas and spread some sour cream on them. Typically, a thin layer of it will do but use as much as you’d like. We personally like to layer on a thick layer of it.
Top your tostadas with the mixed ingredients you just made.
Then, drizzle each tostada with the hot sauce. The salsa I used is more on the milder side so if you’re like me and can’t handle the hot stuff, this salsa is just right. And that’s it! A super simple shrimp tostada recipe.
What other things can you add to a shrimp tostada recipe?
You don’t have to chop up the shrimp if you don’t want to. You can simply toss them in whole.
No shrimp? You can use crab or ground meat instead!
No tostadas? No problem! If you don’t have tostadas then use tortilla chips! I sometimes like to grab a bowl of the just shrimp/veggie mix and eat it with tortilla chips. It’s equally as good. Great way to pack it up for an on-the-go lunch.
Want something more elaborate? You can use guacamole or even a refried beans as well. These are also great substitutes if you don’t want to use sour cream.
Need dairy free? These also taste greate with dairy-free sour cream. Our personal favorites are the Forager Organic dairy-free sour cream, Good Karma plant-based sour cream, or Tofutti better than sour cream.
So there you have it! An easy recipe you can put together whenever you want. Enjoyed this Mexican shrimp tostadas recipe? Don’t forget to bookmark my food category so you can check back for more content.
Easy and Best Shrimp Tostadas Recipe Out There
- 2 lbs frozen shrimp I cooked/peeled them the night before.
- 1 bag tostadas
- sour cream
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 avocado
- salsa my favorite is this Valentina Mexican hot sauce
- 2 limes
- Cook and peel your shrimp. Cut into small pieces and then toss them into a large mixing bowl. (You can use precooked shrimp as well.)
- Chop up the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, in addition to the avocado. Toss everything into the bowl as well.
- Squeeze the lime(s) into your bowl.
- Season with pepper and mix all the ingredients! (We're saving the avocado for last so it doesn't brown too soon.)
- Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for about 45 min.
- Once chilled, chop your avocado, add it in, and season with salt.
- Grab your tostadas and spread some sour cream on them.
- Top your tostadas with the mixed ingredients you just made.
- Finally, drizzle each tostada with the hot sauce and enjoy!
- You can use whole shrimp instead of chopping it up.
- No shrimp? You can use crab or ground meat instead.
- No tostadas? Use tortilla chips instead.
- No sour cream or want to add something more? You can use guacamole or even a refried beans as well.